How To Build Your Hamstrings With Just 3 Exercises
This is your hustle muscle guide to help you build your hamstrings. Beefy hamstrings tell the world that you’re a powerful guy. You can outrun or out-lift the competition. Not to mention how great you’ll look in shorts.
Problem is, too many men ignore their hamstrings – until they pull one. The single-leg hip raise is a classic, but you’ve also got these three muscle-building exercises to harness bigger hamstrings.
1. Feet-Elevated Hip Raise
The higher you go, the harder your hammies work. Do 3 to 5 sets of as many reps as you can; rest 60 seconds between sets.
• Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet on a box.
• Squeeze your glutes and raise your hips until your body forms a straight line from shoulders to knees.
• Pause, lower yourself back down and repeat.
2. Straight-Leg Deadlift
Slow down this classic move to really load your hamstrings when they’re fully stretched. Do 3 to 5 sets of 8 to 12 reps, taking 4 seconds to lower the weight.
• Hold a barbell at arm’s length.
• With your knees slightly bent, bend at your hips and lower your torso as far as you can without rounding your back.
• Pause and reverse the move.
3. Sliding Leg Curl
This hips-and-knees exercise makes you faster. Do 60 seconds of slides; then rest 60 seconds. That’s 1 round. Do 5.
• Lie on your back, your arms by your sides and heels on paper plates or gliders.
• Press into your heels and raise your hips, sliding your feet toward your butt until your knees are at 90-degrees.
• Pause and reverse.
Scroll down for demonstrations of these exercises.