5 Mexican-Inspired Avocado Recipes To Make While You’re In Lockdown
Lockdown has many people experimenting in the kitchen and it’s great. But it’s time you upgrade from the tired avocado on toast you’ve been serving up every day since avo season started. These avocado recipes from the South African Avocado Growers’ Association will help with that.
Nachos Salad Jar
Make This When: You feel like a healthy work-from-home lunch that you can prepare ahead of time.
- 1 large ripe avocado, deseeded
- 4 tablespoons guacamole
- 1 cup salsa of choice
- 1 cup grated carrots
- ½ can sweetcorn kernels, drained
- ½ can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- ½ cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lime, halved
- Nachos chips to serve
- Place a tablespoon of salsa in the bottom of each jar, and top with guacamole.
- Divide the vegetables between the two jars, layering first the carrots, sweetcorn, black beans, red pepper, onion, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Roughly chop the avocado, and mix with half the coriander, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place spoonfuls of avocado on the top, and squeeze over the lime juice. Garnish with extra coriander and serve with nachos and extra salsa. Makes 2 large jars
*Add meat or chicken if you want to up the protein in this meal
Baked Chicken and Avocado “Meatballs” with Piquante Peppers, Spring Onions and Lime on Multi-Grain Tortillas
Make This When: You’re missing your favourite wrap from Kauai or Nu and want to meal prep a few to keep you going and curb the cravings (it will keep in the fridge for a week).
Ingredients for the Meatballs
- 500g ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup mashed avocado, medium size
- 4 small courgettes, grated
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
Ingredients for the Tortillas
- 4 tortillas
- Shredded red cabbage or coleslaw
- 100g piquante peppers, sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- Fresh coriander and micro herbs to garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, until thoroughly mixed.
- Using a 1 ½ tablespoon measure ice cream scoop, make about 25 balls and place them on a greased baking sheet, about 4cm apart. If you do not have an ice cream scoop, use a heaped tablespoon to measure the mixture and shape them with your hands (keep a small bowl of water to dip your hands into for easier shaping).
- Spray the tops of the balls with a coating of non-stick cooking spray, place on an air fryer baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.Or in a pre-heated oven at 180°c for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- To serve arrange the salad, salsa, piquante peppers, meatballs and sliced avocado on top of the tortillas, garnish with fresh coriander and lime wedges. Makes 24 meatballs
Green Avocado Sauce, Mega Veggies and Avocado On Hard Shell Tacos with Charred Pineapple, Pickled Red Onion and Pico De Gallo
Make This When: You want to get the whole family involved in trying out theses avocado recipes for a fun DIY dinner.
Ingredients for the Green Avocado Sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 bunch/30g fresh coriander
- ½ bunch fresh parsley
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- ⅓ cup avo oil (or olive oil)
- ⅓ cup water
- Juice of 1 lime
- pinch of sea salt
Method for the Green Avocado Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine, allow to mix until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a small bowl and cover with a film of plastic wrap, pressing it gently into the top, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Ingredients for the Tacos
- 1 pineapple, diced and charred on a grill pan
- ½ English cucumber, diced
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Shredded cabbage
- Grated carrot
- Shredded lettuce
- 12 tortillas, toasted
- Lime wedges and fresh coriander to serve
- Lay out the tortillas and top with the veggies.
- Serve drizzled with green avo sauce and garnish with lime wedges and extra coriander.
Tex-Mex Sweet Potato and Avocado Salad with Charred Corn and Zingy Amasi (Buttermilk) Dressing
Make This When: You feel like a fresh vibrant salad that everyone can tuck into.
- 1 can sweetcorn, drained, or 2 whole corn cooked and ribbed
- 2 large orange sweet potatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. taco seasoning
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled, cut into thin wedges
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup coriander sprigs
- 1 lemon, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place sweet potato, oil and taco seasoning into a large bowl and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on the lined tray.
- Bake, turning occasionally, for 30 mins or until sweet potato is tender and cooked through.
- To make the dressing: place the buttermilk, lime juice, zest and chopped coriander in a small bowl and stir to combine. Season.
- To serve: arrange the corn, sweet potato, avocado slices and onion on a platter. Drizzle with the buttermilk dressing and garnish with lime wedges and coriander sprigs.
*This makes a great salad for entertaining and to bring along to a braai so keep it in the archives for the post-lockdown celebrations. Who said avocado recipes for entertaining had to stop with guacamole?
Vegan Breakfast Tostadas with Refried Beans, Mushrooms, Hash Browns, Cherry Tomatoes and Avocado Slices
Make This When: You feel like treating the family to something different on a lazy Saturday morning.
- 8 Tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados
- 150g refried beans
- 200g grilled mushrooms
- 200g new potatoes, roasted
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salsa and coriander to serve
Method for the tostada shells
- Preheat the oven to 200°c and spray two large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Lightly spray both sides of the tortillas with cooking spray and place them in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Lightly season with salt.
- Bake for 5 minutes, flip over and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the tortillas are crispy.
- To serve: peel and slice the ripe avocados. Place spoonfuls of the refried beans onto the tostadas, and top with the remaining ingredients.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with salsa of your choice. Serves 4
For more avocado recipes visit www.avocado.co.za