Boost Your Immune System With These 3 Delicious Rooibos Smoothies
Rooibos is having a moment. According to the South African Rooibos Council the tea is celebrating 115 years of being a branded product. The bush can only be grown in the Cederberg region of the Western Cape, making this a homegrown winner.
The tea contains polyphenols known for its anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties which help to fortify your body against colds and flu. Beyond boosting your immune system, the tea is also said to aid concentration, hydrate your skin and help you sleep better.
Up to six cups of tea can be enjoyed per day. With the weather warming up you might not want to reach for a hot drink. Instead, use it in a smoothie. You’ll reap all the health benefits while enjoying these delicious rooibos smoothies.
Try these rooibos smoothies provided by the South African Rooibos Council
Blueberry Pomegranate Rooibos Antioxidant Smoothie
Ingredients for 2 medium servings
1 cup fresh pomegranate arils
1/2 cup frozen blueberries and/or strawberries
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1 Tbsp whey or hemp protein
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp flaxseed or hemp oil
10 – 15 ml lemon juice
2 – 3 bags of rooibos tea
1,5 cups boiling water plus 1 cup ice
1. Put the rooibos bags in a teapot or heatproof jug and pour over the water. Steep for 8 to 10 minutes, then remove the bag. Leave to cool.
2. Put the remainder of the ingredients and the tea into a blender and process until smooth. Sweeten (if necessary) to taste with honey and pour into glasses. Serve immediately.
Pear and Rooibos Vanilla Smoothie
Ingredients for 1 serving:
1 rooibos vanilla flavoured tea bag
80ml (1/3 cup) boiling water
2 pears, cored and diced (no need to peel, unless you want to)
1 – 2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
4 tablespoons oats
250 ml plain yoghurt
125ml rice (or soy / almond / cow) milk, chilled
5 ml lemon juice
1. Place the tea bag into a mug and pour over the boiling water. Add the honey and stir to dissolve.
2. Let the tea bag steep for 1-5 minutes depending on the strength you like.
3. Remove the tea bag and refrigerate the tea for a few minutes to cool.
4. Put the pear and oats into a blender and pour over the tea.
5. Pour in the rice milk and blend until smooth.
6. Serve immediately.
The thinness of the rice milk keeps it light and fruity
Granadilla, Peach and Citrus Rooibos Smoothie
Ingredients for 4 medium servings:
500 ml boiling water
2 – 4 rooibos teabags
2 oranges / grapefruit / naartjies peeled
2 peaches, rinsed and cut up
500 ml plain yoghurt
115 g granadilla pulp
10 ml lime or lemon juice
Honey as needed
1. Add boiling water to the teabags and remove them after 7 minutes. Set aside and let the tea cool down.
2. Puree citrus, peaches, yoghurt, granadilla pulp and tea in a blender until thick and smooth.
3. Add honey and stir.
4. Serve chilled.