Roasted Tomato And Red Pepper Crostini Recipe
- 4 cups assorted cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp red-wine vinegar
- 8 oregano leaves, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices thick country-style bread
- 4 basil leaves, torn
- 4 canned anchovy fillets
- Maldon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 120°C. Toss the tomatoes with ¼ cup oil and ¼ tsp salt. Spread them on a baking sheet; they should just fit on the sheet without overcrowding it. Roast for 2 hours. Reduce the heat to 95°C and roast 1½ hours longer. Cool the tomatoes completely and transfer them, along with the oil from the pan, to a bowl.
2. Meanwhile, grill the pepper (or char it over a gas flame) until blackened. Place it in a deep bowl and cover the bowl for 10 minutes. Scrape off the blackened skin and remove the seeds. Add the pepper flesh to a bowl with 1 thinly sliced garlic clove, the vinegar and the oregano. Season with salt and pepper; then pour enough oil over the pepper to cover it halfway. Cover with plastic and marinate for 2 hours.
3. Brush one side of the bread slices with oil and toast them under the grill, oiled side up, until golden and crisp, about 1 minute. Rub them with the remaining garlic clove.
4. Season the reserved tomatoes with the basil. Lay the peppers on the crostini and pile the tomatoes on top of the peppers. Finish each toast with an anchovy and season it with salt and pepper. Finally, drizzle on some of the roasted-tomato oil.
Makes 4 servings