Recipe: Classic Salsa
• 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
• 1 red pepper, core, seeds and membrane removed
• 1 green pepper, as above
• 1 bunch radishes (six small ones)
• 1 cup fresh coriander (or mint)
• 2 tomatoes, seeds removed (use a teaspoon)
• 1 to 2 cayenne chillies, seeds and membrane removed
• Optional: a firm mango or half a firm pineapple
1. Rinse all the vegetables.
2. Everything must be finely chopped. Use a sharp, long-blade chopping knife, not a serrated edge: hold the tip of the blade firmly on the chopping board with your left hand and chop the ingredients one at a time by lifting the blade up and down rapidly with your right hand.
3. Cut the peppers and chilli into strips before chopping.
4. Dice the onion, radish and tomato (plus the optional fruit). Chop the coriander, stalks and all.
5. The amount of chilli is dependent on taste.
6. Mix everything together thoroughly and keep it in the fridge in an airtight container. Keeps for about two days.