Mexican-Style Pulled Pork Recipe
To satisfy big appetites with ease, set out a feast of slow-cooked pork, tortillas and all the fixings.
- 5 Tbsp Spice Mix (try chilli con carne spice mix)
- 5 Tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 5 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tbsp maldon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder (2kg), trimmed
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C. In a blender, purée the spice mix, vinegar, citrus juices, garlic, salt and 1 cup of water until very smooth.
2. Place the pork in a baking dish. Rub the blended mixture onto the pork to coat it well. Tightly cover the dish with foil or a tight-fitting lid.
3. Bake the pork until tender enough that the meat pulls away easily with tongs, 3½ to 4½ hours. If there’s a lot of liquid left in the pot after 4 hours, remove the lid and continue to cook until some of it has evaporated. Season the pork with salt to taste. (The pork will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
Serves 6 to 8