More Useful Stuff
- +How You Can Impress Her Dad And Family Over The Holidays
- +This Is The Secret To Making Her Hot For You - Even Years After The Honeymoon Phase
- +Why You Love the Chase More Than the Relationship
- +Why Some Women Love Rough Sex—And 4 Hot Ways to Try It
- +Do This The Minute You Get In Bed And You'll Make Sex Better For Both Of You
New study finds your PDA isn’t as sexy or spontaneous as you think
Have you ever walked down a crowded street on a starry night when suddenly, your girlfriend swoops in for a kiss? What seems like spontaneous PDA may actually be something less sexy: People make out to put on a show for others, according to a new study in the Journal Of Sex Research.
Researchers asked more than 300 college students to weigh in on their PDA habits, and one third of the students admitted to “performative making out” in the past. Most guys said they usually did it to enhance their image or to look good in front of their competition. Other dudes said making out was about proving their relationship status and ensuring everyone else knows their date is “off limits.” For a smaller percentage of men, public snogging (to borrow a Harry Potter term) was about cementing the start of a new relationship.
Meanwhile, women in the study said they made out with men to make other people jealous and kissed other women to seem sexually adventurous or get other men’s attention. While women in the study worried that PDA would have a negative impact on their reputation, men didn’t really share the same concerns. In fact, most said they pretty much got what they were after: making themselves look good.