More Useful Stuff
- +8 Ways to Tell If Your Marriage Is Over
- +5 Ways To Save Your Sex Life When You Want It More Often Than She Does
- +The Surprising Life-Saving Benefit of Being Married
- +53 Percent of Women Have This Surprising Secret Fantasy in Common
- +Make This One Choice And You're Likely To Have Better Sex, More Money And A Happier Life
Living with your girlfriend may constitute cohabitation if it is a stable relationship of a sexual nature. While there is no stipulated period of time that the parties should live together, a sense of responsibility for each other has been emphasised in order to prove the relationship exists.
Cohabitation does not have the same consequences as marriage – currently there is no reciprocal duty of support and partners do not automatically inherit from each other. But it has legal consequences as the Insolvency Act and the Domestic Violence Act define “spouse” to include a partner in a cohabitive relationship.