More Useful Stuff
- +Think You'd Notice If You Had A Heart Attack? Think Again
- +This "Healthy" Habit Could Actually Triple Your Chances Of A Heart Attack
- +FYI: Why High Levels of ‘Good’ Cholesterol Might Not Be As Great As You Think
- +HOW TO: Decode Her Orgasm And Leave Her Satisfied Every Time
- +ANSWERED: "If I Go All Out In A Race, Am I At Risk Of A Heart Attack?"
As testosterone therapy is becoming increasingly popular, concerns around its health risks are being raised.
While previous research suggested that it may have adverse cardiovascular outcomes in older men, a latest study reveals what effect it may have on your heart. In the study, medical records of over 55 000 men on testosterone therapy were analysed, revealing some heart-pounding results. Researchers compared heart attack rates within 90 days after men started therapy with rates before they started therapy. Within 90 days of starting testosterone therapy, risk of heart attack doubled among men aged 65 and older, and even in men younger than 65 who had heart disease. Among those who didn’t refill their testosterone prescriptions, risk of heart attack returned to baseline between 91 and 180 days.
According to the senior author of the study, Sander Greenland, more studies need to be undertaken around the risks and benefits of the therapy. When discussing testosterone therapy with their doctors, men are advised to discuss the risk of heart attacks.