More Useful Stuff
- +Protect Your Junk From Catching Herpes - It's More Common Than Most Guys Realise
- +STUDY: Diabetes Can Be Cured With A Calorie Restricted Diet, A New Trial Showed
- +Yes, It’s Possible to Overdose On Coffee. Here's What To Do If You Drank Too Much
- +Why Samuel L. Jackson Wants To Talk About Your Balls
- +6 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
Not smoking, consuming fruit and veg, low alcohol consumption, regular physical activity and maintaining an acceptable BMI. These behaviours may lower your risk of developing chronic disease, guys, but less was known about their effect on cognitive function and dementia.
In the study, researchers analysed 30 years of data from 2 235 men who participated in the Caerphilly Cohort Study, periodically assessing disease incidence, and assessing cognitive functioning in detail when men were between ages 70 and 85. Those who followed any four of these five behaviours showed to have a 50% lower risk of developing diabetes and vascular disease and a 60% lower risk of all-cause mortality, compared to those who followed none.
Researchers also found that men who followed four of these five behaviors also had a 64% lower risk of cognitive impairment and dementia. These reductions, especially the reductions in cognitive decline, are of enormous importance in an ageing population, say the authors.