More Useful Stuff
- +You Might Be Taking the Wrong Form Of This Common Supplement
- +How Eating Avocados May Help Slow Down Your Brain’s Ageing
- +The Surprising Benefit Of Getting Diarrhoea When You're Sick
- +How You’re Sleeping Might Be Giving You Alzheimer’s
- +5 Simple Ways to Lower Your Heart Rate - And Your Risk Of Dying Early
Public bathrooms can be nauseating – literally.
Scientists at the University of Colorado found that a typical toilet harbors 19 phyla of bacteria.
Study author Dr Gilberto Flores says while many are harmless, each family has potentially bad bugs. So wash your hands and use a hand sanitiser.
Bad bug: propionibacterium acnes, which causes acne and eye infections
Bad bug: streptococcus pyogenes, the culprit behind strep throat
Bad bug: staphylococcus aureus, which can leave you with a skin infection
Bad bug: clostridium tetani, responsible for tetanus
Bad bug: corynebacterium diphtheriae, which can cause diphtheria
Bad bug: moraxella catarrhalis, often linked to respiratory infections