More Useful Stuff
- +You Can Add 20 Kilograms To Your Deadlift With These 2 Tips
- +WARNING: You Should Never Ever Make This One Mistake If You Wear Contact Lenses (It Could Ruin Your Sight For Good)
- +Most Guys Believe This Myth About Bench Pressing - But It Could Get You Seriously Injured
- +Level Up Your Dress Shoe Game In These 4 Steps
- +8 Ways Your Running Shoes Are Ruining Your Workout
Too Quick A Switch To Minimalist Shoes Can Cause Problems
Researchers recruited 36 experienced, recreational runners and had 19 of them gradually transition to running in VibramFiveFinger running shoes over a period of 10 weeks. The rest of the runners continued to run in their standard shoes. MRIs before and after were used to look for bone damage. All the runners had similar MRI results at the outset. After the 10-week period 10 of the 19 transitioners had increased bone marrow edema in at least one bone — a larger increase than seen in the traditional shoe wearers. The researchers suggest a transition to minimalist shoes should be done very slowly to avoid possible injuries.