More Useful Stuff
- +4 Signs That You Might Have A Calcium Deficiency
- +You Might Be Taking Way Too Much Of This Important Supplement
- +If A Supplement Claims To Boost Your Brain, It Might Just Be Fake
- +This Common Tablet Could Be The Answer To Mild Symptoms Of Depression
- +3 Supplements That You Really Need In Your Diet - And 3 That Are Just Wasting Your Money
Finnish researchers discovered that vitamin D can keep you from getting sick. In a six-month study of 756 men, they found that those with the lowest blood levels of the vitamin took twice as many sick days for respiratory infections as the men who weren’t deficient.
That’s because vitamin D stimulates the production of antibiotic-like chemicals in your respiratory tract, helping to destroy bacteria before they can cause harm, says study author Dr Ilkka Laaksi. Harvard doctors recommend a daily intake of 1 000 international units (IU) of vitamin D.