More Useful Stuff
- +Why Cardiac Arrest During Sex Is Deadlier Than Any Other Activity
- +Can't Sleep? Your Insomnia May Be More Serious Than You Think
- +This Painful Skin Rash May Put You At Risk Of a Heart Attack
- +If You Have This Blood Type, You're More Likely to Have a Heart Attack
- +If You Struggle To Sleep At Night, You're 27% More Likely To Have A Heart Attack
Beat a heart attack by factoring in these risk factors. Dr John Elefteriades of Yale–New Haven Aortic Institute has some ideas.
It’s critical to know your family’s heart history. If you fall in the intermediate-risk or high-risk category, talk to your doctor.
There’s really no single “best” diet. I tell all my patients to maintain a healthy weight and eat oats every day. It’s filling and you digest it slowly. Plus, the fibre in oats carries cholesterol out of your body.
Daily exercise strengthens your heart. Alcohol, up to two servings a day, can help relax your arteries. And sex is beneficial in every way. But inhaling smoke is like scraping the lining of your arteries with sandpaper.