More Useful Stuff
- +Cut The BS: Nutritionists Reveal The Biggest Weight Loss Porkies They’ve Ever Heard
- +8 Foods You Had No Idea Could Put You To Sleep
- +Yes, It’s Possible to Overdose On Coffee. Here's What To Do If You Drank Too Much
- +14 Delicious Easy Lunches That Will Help You Lose Weight
- +7 Things You Do In the Morning That Make You Feel Tired All Day
Winning margins in the Tour de France can be incredibly close and professional cyclists need every edge they can get. New research from the University of Exeter has shown that beetroot juice may be a surprising new addition to cyclists’ nutrition regimes.
“The researchers monitored athletes’ VO2 levels (showing the amount of oxygen consumed) during exercise to ensure that the cyclists worked at maximum effort on each occasion.
Results showed that when the cyclists drank ordinary beetroot juice they had a higher power output (measured in watts) for the same level of effort — suggesting their muscles and cardio-vascular system were being more efficient.
On average, riders were 11 seconds (2.8%) quicker over the 4km distance and 45 seconds (2.7%) faster over the 16.1km”
**Bottom Line:** A beetroot smoothie every morning can really help your training.