More Useful Stuff
- +Forget Running - You Can Burn Double The Calories Doing This
- +Cut The BS: Nutritionists Reveal The Biggest Weight Loss Porkies They’ve Ever Heard
- +STUDY: Diabetes Can Be Cured With A Calorie Restricted Diet, A New Trial Showed
- +How You Can Hack The Bread Aisle To Find The Healthiest Loaf
- +Why You Should Eat More And Lift Heavy To Lose Fat
Weight loss can compromise peak bone mass during young adulthood.
This study investigated if eating a high-protein, high-dairy diet during weight loss could protect bone health. The study participants included people who were overweight or obese and who were attempting to lose weight through diet and exercise. They were randomly assigned to one of three weight loss diets: high-protein/high-dairy, adequate protein/medium dairy, or adequate protein/low dairy for 16 weeks. People in all three groups lost about the same amount of weight, but diets that were higher in protein and dairy foods (and so also higher in calcium) combined with exercise had a favorable impact on biomarkers of bone health.