More Useful Stuff
- +The Surprising Health Risk Of Your Gluten-Free Diet
- +Three Things We Learned about a Standing Desk
- +Swap This One Item On Your Dinner Plate And You'll Instantly Burn Calories - And Poop More!
- +Cut The Carb Crap: This Is What You Should Be Eating
- +This Guy Lost 90 Kilograms. Here's How He Transformed His Body
Weight loss can compromise peak bone mass during young adulthood.
This study investigated if eating a high-protein, high-dairy diet during weight loss could protect bone health. The study participants included people who were overweight or obese and who were attempting to lose weight through diet and exercise. They were randomly assigned to one of three weight loss diets: high-protein/high-dairy, adequate protein/medium dairy, or adequate protein/low dairy for 16 weeks. People in all three groups lost about the same amount of weight, but diets that were higher in protein and dairy foods (and so also higher in calcium) combined with exercise had a favorable impact on biomarkers of bone health.