More Useful Stuff
- +5 Times People Got So Hangry They Nearly Killed For Their Food
- +Your Supper, Sorted: Beef Kebabs And Sweet Potato Chips
- +Do This With Your Finger To Make Healthier Food Choices
- +5 Festive Season Food Hacks To Stop You Eating Til You Feel Bloated And Guilty
- +Your New Favourite Recipe. This Is The Single Best Way to Cook a Steak
Alan Aragon, a nutritionist, shares four ways to shrink your belly (and keep it shrunk). Here’s how to eat like a nutritionist!
1. Look forward to every meal.
It’s the only way to stick with a diet over time. Find whole foods – meats, fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts – that you love, as well as minimally processed foods, such as wholegrains, cheese and milk.
2. Consume your target weight in grams of protein every day.
Eat protein at every meal and most snacks. My go-to shake: blend 1 cup coffee, 2 or 3 ice cubes, 1 banana, ¼ cup walnuts, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 1 tablespoon cocoa powder.
3. Be accountable.
Every day for a month, grade your eating habits on a scale of 1 to 10. Record your scores for every meal and snack or just jot down one average number for the whole day. The danger zones in your diet will become obvious.
4. Go on, indulge!
Reward yourself with 10% cheat kilojoules every day. If you’re on a 8 000kJ-a-day diet, that could be a 800kJ snack daily or a 8 000kJ meal once a week. By indulging, you can moderate your cravings and avoid bingeing.