More Useful Stuff
- +8 Surprising Things That Happen To Your Body When You Stop Drinking Booze
- +Here’s Another Scientific Benefit Of Drinking Beer, Because You Deserve Good News
- +Ever Wondered How Beer Goggles Work? Now You Know
- +7 Health Reasons You Should Knock Back A Beer Right Now
- +BUSTED! Undeniable Proof That Beer Is Good For You
The bad news is that braaied meat increases your chances of getting colon cancer, according to past studies. The brilliant news is that you can reduce the chances by marinating your meat in beer.
When meat is cooked at very high temperatures (like on a braai) it leads to the formation of cancer causing substance called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH). The same substance is also found in car exhaust fumes and cigarette smoke.
Scientists wanted to see if marinating the meat in beer would have any effect, so they decided to braai a bit of pork. They marinated the pieces meat for four hours in different beers: Pilsner, non-alcoholic Pilsner and black beer ale.
The scientists found that black beer was the most effective in reducing the levels of PAH. Levels of eight major PAH’s were halved compared to the unmediated meat.
The study is published in ACS’s Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.