More Useful Stuff
- +Women Reveal The One Thing That Instantly Attracts Them To You
- +5 Times People Got So Hangry They Nearly Killed For Their Food
- +Feel The Burn In Just 4 Minutes With This Insane Burpee Workout
- +Are Your Testosterone Levels Normal?
- +These Guys Revealed The One Thing They Would Do If It Wasn't Considered Too "Girly"
A diet too low in starch may restrict mood-boosting serotonin
A diet too low in starches may restrict mood-boosting serotonin in your brain, a study in the Archives of Internal Medicine suggests. The right starches have fibre, vitamins and heart-healthy phytochemicals. The wrong kinds mess with blood sugar, says dietician Valerie Berkowitz. Make
your next starch better.
EGG NOODLES beats RAMEN
“Because of their egg content, egg noodles have more protein than ramen noodles, which are made of flour,” says Berkowitz.
WILD RICE beats BROWN RICE
“Wild rice is lower in kilojoules, carbohydrates, fat and sodium. Plus, it has more protein, vitamin E and folic acid,” says Berkowitz.
WHITE POTATOES = SWEET POTATOES
It’s a toss-up. Sweet potatoes have more beta-carotene, but white spuds have more essential minerals, like potassium.