More Useful Stuff
- +One Of the Best Lower-Body Exercises On the Planet Just Got Even Better
- +The local driver who went from Playstation to Ferrari, just got SA colours
- +Can You Squat More Than A 46kg Woman? Probably not this one!
- +Think You'd Notice If You Had A Heart Attack? Think Again
- +This 5-Move Workout Will Get You Absolutely Shredded
A diet too low in starch may restrict mood-boosting serotonin
A diet too low in starches may restrict mood-boosting serotonin in your brain, a study in the Archives of Internal Medicine suggests. The right starches have fibre, vitamins and heart-healthy phytochemicals. The wrong kinds mess with blood sugar, says dietician Valerie Berkowitz. Make
your next starch better.
EGG NOODLES beats RAMEN
“Because of their egg content, egg noodles have more protein than ramen noodles, which are made of flour,” says Berkowitz.
WILD RICE beats BROWN RICE
“Wild rice is lower in kilojoules, carbohydrates, fat and sodium. Plus, it has more protein, vitamin E and folic acid,” says Berkowitz.
WHITE POTATOES = SWEET POTATOES
It’s a toss-up. Sweet potatoes have more beta-carotene, but white spuds have more essential minerals, like potassium.