More Useful Stuff
- +Lessons From This Man Who Dropped 26kg & Found A Whole New Lease On Life
- +There's a Strange Link Between Your Weight & Your Spouse's
- +This Is How Long Sex Actually Lasts For Most Couples
- +13 Variations Of The Plank That Will Sculpt Your Core To Perfection
- +Be A Part of The Vodacom Red #BullsFamily Fun Day!
A diet too low in starch may restrict mood-boosting serotonin
A diet too low in starches may restrict mood-boosting serotonin in your brain, a study in the Archives of Internal Medicine suggests. The right starches have fibre, vitamins and heart-healthy phytochemicals. The wrong kinds mess with blood sugar, says dietician Valerie Berkowitz. Make
your next starch better.
EGG NOODLES beats RAMEN
“Because of their egg content, egg noodles have more protein than ramen noodles, which are made of flour,” says Berkowitz.
WILD RICE beats BROWN RICE
“Wild rice is lower in kilojoules, carbohydrates, fat and sodium. Plus, it has more protein, vitamin E and folic acid,” says Berkowitz.
WHITE POTATOES = SWEET POTATOES
It’s a toss-up. Sweet potatoes have more beta-carotene, but white spuds have more essential minerals, like potassium.