More Useful Stuff
- +4 Rules For Getting Ripped At Any Age
- +This Guy Is Proof That No Excuse Is Too Big To Stand Between You And Your Goals
- +Lessons From This Man Who Dropped 26kg & Found A Whole New Lease On Life
- +13 Variations Of The Plank That Will Sculpt Your Core To Perfection
- +10 Deadlifts You Can Do With Just a Pair Dumbbells
What are the most powerful muscles in your body? You bet your ass it’s your glutes. Or at least they would be if you didn’t just sit on them all day. Whether you want to be more athletic or just bigger, you need to go deep – most exercises don’t allow your thighs to go much lower than parallel to the ground, limiting muscle activation. “This reverse-lunge step-up hybrid enables a bigger range of motion at the hip and builds single-leg stability,” says strength and conditioning coach Bret Contreras. Time to get off your backside…
1. Get High
Stand on a step or box about mid-shin height. This will give you that range of motion we were talking about.
2. Step Off
Hold a dumbbell in your right hand and (carefully) step back off the box with your right leg.
3. Go Deep
Sink into the lunge – without wobbling. The uneven load forces your whole body into action.
4. Power Up
When you knee nears the ground, push through your front heel to reverse. Do 3 sets of 10, on each leg.