More Useful Stuff
- +4 Ways To Finish Up Every Single Workout. Every Single Time.
- +4 Health Hacks Women Already Know That You Should Too
- +These 6 Workouts Are Guaranteed To Give You A Flatter Stomach
- +Your Step-By-Step Guide To Winning Her Heart (Assisted By Science)
- +This. Right Here. Is What You'll Be Cooking All Summer Long
The goblet pause squat is what I call a “money” exercise. Here’s why:
1. It builds the bottom of your squat like a champ.
And once you own the bottom of the exercise, you own everything else in between.
2. It’s easy on the joints—but super challenging to your muscles.
Holding the weight in front of you provides a counter-balance that allows you to stay more upright. This is easier on the back and knees, and makes your core, upper back, and quads work harder.
3. It can be done almost anywhere.
The dumbbell version is a lot more accessible than the barbell version. (Although the barbell front squats is one of my favorite exercises, too.)
How to Do it
In the video above, you’ll see me battling through the last 15 seconds of a 30-second isometric hold. I did this after doing 5 sets of a high number of reps. For those, I usually select a weight I can goblet squat for at least 10 reps. Here I was using 100-pound dumbbell.
You really want to focus on pushing your knees out, sitting tall, and crunching your abs. The turbulence on your core and shoulder muscles is epic.
Besides adding an additional iso-hold to end a workout, you can also start your workout this way, using a lighter load of course. It will mobilize all the key joints that need attention like your ankles, hips, and upper back, and activate your hip, shoulder, and core muscles.
You can even add a 1 to 5 second pause to the bottom of each rep of a given set or multiple sets to stimulate more muscle gain for your lower body. It definitely makes a lighter weight go a longer way.
I recommend trying every option. That’s because they all work and you need to find out what your body responds to best and what it needs the most right now. Are you game? Send this to someone who wants their abs to explode on their next leg day.