More Useful Stuff
- +This Lifting Technique Will Make Your Biceps Look Like Baseballs
- +Try This Kettlebell Workout From Hell For A Total-Body Burn
- +5 Things You Should Never Do After Your Workout
- +Do These 19 Exercises And You'll Carve A Rock-Hard Six-Pack
- +You Can Build A Massive Chest With This One Tweak To Your Pushup Technique
Chisel your middle and bulletproof your back with these classic core movements
This workout pulls double duty: It not only carves and tightens your core, but it also prevents lower back pain in the process, says Men’s Health Fitness Director BJ Gaddour.
The routine consists of five core stability exercises: bird dog, hollow-body hold, front plank, side plank, and back plank. Each exercise hits your midsection from a different angle, sculpting and strengthening your midsection in 360 degrees, he says.
And since they’re stability exercises, you’ll train your core to resist potentially spine-damaging motions like rotation, flexion, and extension, Gaddour explains.
Watch the video above to see Gaddour demonstrate the movements. Then try this classic core workout for yourself.
How to Do the Core Workout
Perform each move for 60 seconds, resting 15 seconds between each one. Complete all five exercises to finish one round. Do 3 to 5 rounds total.
1. Bird dog
2. Hollow-body hold
3. Front plank
4. Side plank
5. Back plank
There are 3 different levels for each move: beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Choose the variation you can do with perfect form for 60 seconds straight.