More Useful Stuff
- +The Most Effective Interval Workout For Burning Fat
- +One Of the Best Lower-Body Exercises On the Planet Just Got Even Better
- +This 5-Move Workout Will Get You Absolutely Shredded
- +Forget Running - You Can Burn Double The Calories Doing This
- +How Much Of Your Body Build Can You Really Blame On Genetics?
Build bigger pistons: lifting weights can help you run faster. That’s what Spanish researchers concluded after having a group of elite runners add twice-weekly strength sessions to their training. After 12 weeks, the runners shaved about five seconds off their three kilometre times – a significant improvement for such athletes. “Lifting enhances muscle strength, so the fibres don’t tire as quickly, which may lead to better running efficiency,” says Dr Silvia Sedano Campo, the study author.