More Useful Stuff
- +8 High-Protein Breakfasts That Aren’t All about Eggs
- +Here's A One Weird Reason You Might Be Struggling To Poop
- +Your Guide To Choosing The Right Protein, Every Time, All The Time
- +7 Of The Best Supplements For Men That You Can Buy Right Now
- +This Guy Reckons This Workout Is The Greatest Ever. Do You Agree?
Think of supplements as diet insurance: they make sure your body has everything it needs to build lean mass, says nutrition consultant Dr Mike Roussell. Here’s what to take and when to take it.
Not only can branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) help fuel your workout, but they can also boost protein synthesis afterward, accelerating muscle growth, according to researchers at the University of Texas Medical Branch.
Choose one with 1 000kJ to 1 200kJ and a two-to-one carb-to-protein ratio. “A mix of the two is more efficient at decreasing muscle breakdown and stimulating muscle growth than either one alone,” says Roussell.
Drinking some protein before hitting the sack can boost overnight protein synthesis by about 23%, according to research from the Netherlands. It can also help curb late-night snacking.