More Useful Stuff
- +You Will Never Get Injured Again - Just Try This
- +The Burpee Variation That’s Twice As Hard On Your Abs (And Twice As Effective)
- +This Your Goto Next Time Someone Drops The "But I Don't Have Time To Workout" Excuse
- +Listen Up: Here Are 4 Ways Your Brain Will Suffer If You Stop Working Out
- +This Is How You Will Avoid Gaining Weight This Festive Season
Want to find out if you’re MHFit?
Take the test now!
PURPOSE: Determine the max strength of the upper body.
EQUIPMENT: Olympic barbell with 50kg combined total (including bar and collars), bench
GOAL: As many 50kg bench press reps as possible in 2 minutes.
TECHNIQUE: Lie flat on your back on a bench, with your feet on the floor or on the bench. Your hips and shoulders should say in contact with the bench throughout the move. Place your hands onto the bar roughly 5 -10cm wider than your shoulders. When the bar is lowered to your chest, your elbows should be able flex to close to 90 degrees. To start the test, lower the bar off the stand and with control, bring it down to the centre of your chest, touching it lightly on your sternum. Then press it upwards until your arms are locked straight above you. You are not allowed to bounce the weight of your chest. Breathe in while lowering the bar, and exhale when you press it upwards. You will need to get as many reps of this 50kg bench press in 2 minutes. You can rest at the top of the movement but you can’t place the weight back on the stand. Once the weight is placed on the stand, the test is finished and reps should be counted.
1. Bouncing the bar off your chest.
2. Not extending your arms fully.
3. Any touching of the bar by the spotter.
Training Tip: To get the most out of your bench press, keep your hips flat on the bench, and keep your feet planted. Keep your elbows tucked in, and press through your heels for more power.
Level 1 – 0-20
Level 2 – 21-25
Level 3 – 26-30
Level 4 – 31-35
Level 5 – 36-40
Level 6 – 41-45
Level 7 – 46-50
Level 8 – 51-55
Level 9 – 56-60
Level 10 – 60+
To workout your final score, add up your seven totals to get one number. Then divide that number by 7 and times by 10. That will be your final MH Elite score for the leaderboard.
Total score ÷ 7 X 10 = MHELITE score