More Useful Stuff
- +4 Ways To Finish Up Every Single Workout. Every Single Time.
- +4 Health Hacks Women Already Know That You Should Too
- +These 6 Workouts Are Guaranteed To Give You A Flatter Stomach
- +Your Step-By-Step Guide To Winning Her Heart (Assisted By Science)
- +This. Right Here. Is What You'll Be Cooking All Summer Long
Your rotator cuff is the group of muscles and tendons that both stabilize your shoulder and allow it to rotate. For such an important piece of your anatomy, though, you rarely hear anyone talk about training to strengthen it.
That’s a shame. Strong rotator cuff and scapular muscles will not only prevent injury, but they’ll also make you better at movements like presses, pullups, and pushups, says Men’s Health Fitness Director BJ Gaddour, C.S.C.S.
The Cuban press, which combines an upright row, an external shoulder rotation, and an
“The key is using a light enough weight—start with 5 to 10 pound dumbbells—so you can successfully do the external rotation component of the move,” Gaddour says.
Do sets of 10 to 20 reps as a warmup before heavier lifting or for recovery on your off days, he says.