More Useful Stuff
- +Women Reveal The One Thing That Instantly Attracts Them To You
- +5 Times People Got So Hangry They Nearly Killed For Their Food
- +Feel The Burn In Just 4 Minutes With This Insane Burpee Workout
- +Are Your Testosterone Levels Normal?
- +These Guys Revealed The One Thing They Would Do If It Wasn't Considered Too "Girly"
Your rotator cuff is the group of muscles and tendons that both stabilize your shoulder and allow it to rotate. For such an important piece of your anatomy, though, you rarely hear anyone talk about training to strengthen it.
That’s a shame. Strong rotator cuff and scapular muscles will not only prevent injury, but they’ll also make you better at movements like presses, pullups, and pushups, says Men’s Health Fitness Director BJ Gaddour, C.S.C.S.
The Cuban press, which combines an upright row, an external shoulder rotation, and an
“The key is using a light enough weight—start with 5 to 10 pound dumbbells—so you can successfully do the external rotation component of the move,” Gaddour says.
Do sets of 10 to 20 reps as a warmup before heavier lifting or for recovery on your off days, he says.