More Useful Stuff
- +This Lifting Technique Will Make Your Biceps Look Like Baseballs
- +Do These 19 Exercises And You'll Carve A Rock-Hard Six-Pack
- +You Can Build A Massive Chest With This One Tweak To Your Pushup Technique
- +Boost Your Gains With This One Twist On The Best Upper-Body Exercise
- +You Can Add 20 Kilograms To Your Deadlift With These 2 Tips
Q: I’m training for a bicycle stage race. Is riding enough or should I be doing gym work too?
A: The major component of the race will be riding your bike, so this should be your primary focus. Because you are doing a stage race, make sure that at least two of your sessions per week are longish back-to-back rides. If you are doing adequate riding and you still have a further one to two hours per week available to you to train, then doing some strength training will be beneficial to making you stronger as well as helping with injury prevention.
The best exercises are step-ups onto a high bench, leg presses and squats. It is also a good idea to do some core-strengthening exercises.