More Useful Stuff
- +Lessons From This Man Who Dropped 26kg & Found A Whole New Lease On Life
- +13 Variations Of The Plank That Will Sculpt Your Core To Perfection
- +Be A Part of The Vodacom Red #BullsFamily Fun Day!
- +10 Deadlifts You Can Do With Just a Pair Dumbbells
- +How Sam Heughan Forged A Body Worthy Of A Scottish Highlander
You’ll feel a whole new kind of burn
You’ve done the dumbbell fly about a million times. But have you tried the batwing fly?
By stretching your chest muscles under load, the batwing fly creates a lot of muscle damage for serious gains, says Men’s Health Fitness Director BJ Gaddour, C.S.C.S.
The key to the exercise is keeping the weights light and your arm position low—near where it would be at the start of a traditional bench press movement. From there, extending your hands out to your sides will give you a whole new kind of burn.
You can either start your workout with this move to “pre-exhaust” your pecs, or save it for the end of your routine to create a lot of metabolic stress, Gaddour says.
Just make sure to keep the weights light—at least to start. “This is challenging,” he promises.
Do 2 sets of work periods lasting 1 to 2 minutes. Rest 1 minute between sets.