More Useful Stuff
- +How You Can Fall In Love With The Treadmill - Advice From A Guy Who Just Ran 80kms On One!
- +Forget Running - You Can Burn Double The Calories Doing This
- +8 Ways Your Running Shoes Are Ruining Your Workout
- +BUSTED: Does Running Hurt Your Knees In The Long Run?
- +You Will Never Get Injured Again - Just Try This
Interval training is one of the fastest ways to get fit, says Ryan Sandes, pro trail runner. Here’s how to slash your times
One minute hard, one
“You run as fast as you canvand you do it as many times as you can,” says Calitz. This spikes your heart rate, he says. Subtract your age from 220, this is roughly 90% of your maximum heart rate. The brief recovery time allows you hit this as often as you can.
Three minutes hard, one
“This mimics running on a trail where you run uphill for an extended amount of time and you only have a short recovery period.” He runs these at about three minutes a kilometre. “You need to be able to hold that intensity – albeit a lower intensity – for a longer amount of time.”