More Useful Stuff
- +13 Variations Of The Plank That Will Sculpt Your Core To Perfection
- +The Workout That Helped This 42-Year-Old Guy Sculpt His Six Pack Abs
- +This Fitness Model Has A Killer 6 Pack... Even While She's 6 Months Pregnant
- +Want A Six-Pack? Stop Doing Crunches & Do These 4 Things Instead
- +This Helicopter Plank Ladder Combo Will Wreck Your Abs
Don’t underestimate the tame-looking side bridge. The truth is that side bridges improve the stability of all the muscles surrounding your spine and stomach.
In fact, Canadian researchers found that men who perform the side bridge effectively are less likely to encounter back trouble.
V TAPER The side bridge develops your obliques, the muscles that run along your torso.
LESS PAIN Improving lower back muscle endurance helps you stay upright and avoid strains.
MORE ABS Bridges challenge your deep abdominal stabilisers: the transverse abdominis and quadratus lumborum.Add this routine to your workout to bolster your core and help carve a six-pack.
Do this routine two to three times a week. Hold for the times specified below, then switch sides.
1.KNEELING SIDE BRIDGE 30 secs
Lie on your side with your forearm on the floor and your elbow under your shoulder, your knees bent 90 degrees. Contract your glutes and keep your abs stiff throughout. Raise your hips until your torso is straight from shoulders to knees.
2. SIDE BRIDGE – 60 secs
Lie on your side with your forearm on the floor and your elbow under your shoulder, your feet stacked together. Contract your glutes and abs. Push your hips off the floor, creating a straight line from ankle to shoulder and keeping your head in line with your spine.
3. ELEVATED SIDE BRIDGE – 45 secs
Same set-up as for the side bridge, but stack your feet on a bench. Don’t allow your hips to sag.